How to configure Google Calendar CalDAV in iPhone 3.0

The last time i posted how to configure Google Calendar CalDAV on an iPhone, it was still in 3.0 beta 1. Now that iPhone 3.0 has gone gold, i decided to post updated instructions.

1. Go to “Settings” and select “Mail, Contact, Calendar”. On the “Mail, Contact, Calendar” menu, select “Add Account…”.
    iPhone 3.0: Mail, Contacts, Calendar screen
  2. On the “Add Account….” screen, select “Other”.

iPhone 3.0: Add Account...

iPhone 3.0: Add Account...
  3. On “Other” screen, choose “Add CalDAV Account”.
    iPhone 3.0: Other
  4. Enter “google.com” for Server. It will be automatically changed to “www.google.com” as you go to the next field. For User Name, enter your Google Mail account username, without “@gmail.com”. As you go to the next field, “@gmail.com” will be padded to the username. If you are setting this up for an account on Google Apps, enter the full email address name, ie, name@domain. When you are done entering the password, click on “Next”.
    iPhone 3.0: CalDAV account info
  5. Google Calendar CalDAV account information being validated:
    iPhone 3.0: CalDAV account validating iPhone 3.0: CalDAV account validated
  6. Once your Google Calendar CalDAV account is validated, it will show up in Calendar.
    iPhone 3.0: CalDAV in Calendar

29 Comments

rouvenJune 17th, 2009 at 23:42

It seems it only syncs the first google calendar. if you have more than one, it will ignore the others.

PatrickJune 18th, 2009 at 01:21

Has anyone tried out davical as davcal server. I´ve tried it yesterday it does not seem to load my calendar.

rouvenJune 18th, 2009 at 02:23

Just to let you know, you can import more than the first google calendar, but you need a new caldav for each google calendar.

1. Expand the “Server Options” section to expose the Account URL setting.
2. For Account URL, specify “https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[Google Calendar ID]/user”. Note that it’s actually “/user” there at the end, not your user name. The Google Calendar ID in brackets is visible in Google Calendar by going to the settings for a calendar and looking toward the bottom of the Calendar Details tab. You’ll see some funky junk like “asdfjklasdfjklasdjklasdjkl@group.calendar.google.com” or similar. That’s the Google Calendar ID.

LeandroJune 18th, 2009 at 05:33

Hey, cool!

And what’s the procedure for Google Apps calendars?

ktulaJune 18th, 2009 at 07:52

@rouven:
Thanks for the info on how to set up CalDAV for more than one Google Calendars.

@ Leandro:
It’s the same except for User Name, you specify your Google Apps email address. I am guessing you have your own domain for Google Apps, assuming it is called xyz.com, so the User Name that you should use is username@xyz.com.

bmattbJune 18th, 2009 at 08:40

I’m so glad that they rolled this out finally. Yes, there was the Google Sync tool, but this uses the one allowed Activesync connection, and like many users, I already have that one pushing out my work email and calendar. Thanks!

tasticJune 19th, 2009 at 11:30

@ rouven – where is the “server options” section? Do you mean Advanced Settings/ Account URL ?

ktulaJune 19th, 2009 at 11:33

@tastic:
Yes, it is in the Advanced Settings called Account URL.

tasticJune 19th, 2009 at 11:49

@ktula – Thanks. I am missing something, I cant get it to work at the moment. Crap.

ktulaJune 19th, 2009 at 11:51

@tastic:
What are you trying to achieve? Add a second Google Calendar?

[...] Update: The instructions listed below are obsoleted. They are meant for iPhone 3.0 beta 1. For instructions on configuring Google Calendar CalDAV on iPhone 3.0 (released on 6/17/2009), please refer to this. [...]

tasticJune 19th, 2009 at 16:35

Yes, trying to sync a secondary calendar.

ktulaJune 19th, 2009 at 17:13

@tastic:

You need to add a new CalDAV account for your second calendar. Are you trying to change your only CalDAV calendar?

dt-caldavquestionJune 20th, 2009 at 05:36

I am having same problem. I am trying to add a second google calendar using caldav. I changed the calendar url and it still isn’t showing up in my calendar list on the iphone. any ideas?

Nathan de VriesJune 20th, 2009 at 21:32

As rouven suggested, it’s certainly possible to add multiple CalDAV calendars, but the interface isn’t very intuitive. When adding a new calendar, instead of typing “www.google.com” into the server field you can paste “https://www.google.com/calendar/dav//user” instead. You’ll find your in the calendar settings page of Google Calendar (it looks like an email address). I’ve written up a full set of instructions here: http://www.atnan.com/2009/6/19/configuring-multiple-caldav-google-calendars-on-iphone-os-3-0

Cheers,

Nathan

Nathan de VriesJune 20th, 2009 at 21:35

Hmm…looks like the comments system removed some parts of my comment. That URL should have been “https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/CALENDAR_ID/user”, where CALENDAR_ID can be found in the calendar settings page of Google Calendar.

[...] raining ktula » Blog Archive » How to configure Google Calendar CalDAV in iPhone 3.0 (tags: iphone caldav google calendar) « links for 2009-06-22 [...]

danJune 24th, 2009 at 20:39

im confused maybe someone can help..

whats the difference between doing this method, and setting up the calendar as an exchange connection on the iphone which is what im doing now with my google apps domain?

ktulaJune 24th, 2009 at 20:47

@dan:

Sorry, i am not familiar with setting up iPhone with MS exchange.

danJune 25th, 2009 at 19:48

@ktula the setup is exactly the same as this caldav method except you choose “exchange” instead of “other” during the setup.

I just don’t know what the difference is between the two types of connections and if there are any benefits over eachother

CaraJuly 9th, 2009 at 11:35

So, first thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread so far. I discovered something pretty cool when trying a short cut for the instructions that I’d like to share. Since the URL address is so long, I copied it and emailed it to myself in order to paste into CALdav. However, when I touched the URL address on my iPhone, I got a prompt asking if I wanted to subscribe. I accepted –had to answer this prompt twice, and then got a message saying the account was added and I could hit view events or done. I clicked view events and my second calendar was there. Very psyched. When I go to Calendars, I can choose which calendars to view or All Calendars.
This seemed to circumnavigate the whole set up process… Works with Google Calendars and the URL found at the bottom of each calendar.

ktulaJuly 9th, 2009 at 11:36

@Cara: Thanks for the great tip!

PaulbJuly 13th, 2009 at 11:09

So there’s not actually a way to sync your local iPhone cal with the online google one so that they are the same, rather than having the two of them both available but separate on your phone?

ktulaJuly 13th, 2009 at 11:35

@Paulb: If the only calendar on your iPhone is the Google CalDAV calendar, then you will only have one calendar on your iPhone.

[...] Enable Google Calendar in Apple’s iCal How to configure Google Calendar CalDAV in iPhone 3.0 Which is preferred on iPhone CalDAV or Exchange? Sharing calendars with Google Calendar, iCal, and [...]

oddtoddSeptember 16th, 2009 at 15:15

dan – I suspect that Exchange is a better method than CalDAV. I think it allows multiple calendars just fine, etc. HOWEVER, Only one Exchange sync is allowed, so if you are a corporate Exchange sync’er for email, you must use CalDAV to sync to google calendar.

Cara – the first time I tried that, it asked me to log in, but I think I had a typo. Now every URL like that I try gives me “Method Not Allowed”. :-(

torgOctober 30th, 2009 at 01:39

Great writeup!

torgOctober 30th, 2009 at 01:57

Just noticed that visiting this link https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect will let you enable of syncing several caldav calendars using only one caldav account on the iphone

MCPJuly 14th, 2010 at 02:08

@torg: Your post is quite old but was just the solution for my missing calendar after long googeling… ;-)
Thx a lot!